Monday, September 23, 2013

Back in the day..

If it wasn't for Swing Choir back in high school, I don't know if I would have finished.  We had the usual cliches in school.. Preps, jocks, brains, stoners, nerds, and the rebel without a clue kids.  Me, I was the eclectic loner who floated in with pretty much all of the groups... but the preppys and jocks.  I was the Rocker chick, I had my teased out hair, leather, spandex, cut up jeans, and customized rock concert shirts with my favorite pair(s) of boots.. (depending on the outfit and desired look of course  :-)  )   It was rare that beyond a superficial appearance any of the groups really mixed together.  I've never been one to tolerate when someone looks down there noses at another human being.. so I just never wanted to be there.  But, I had choir and cosmetology my senior year which meant I only had a half day at HS and then I left to go to beauty school for the afternoon.

And getting back to Swing Choir, I made sure I had as many choir classes as I could take.  I loved my choir teacher, Laurie.  She was young, pretty, funny, and inspiring to be around.  Laurie and our accompanist, Shirley, who played the piano, were a great team.  I knew I wanted to be in her choir classes from the time I saw her at the end of first trimester in seventh grade.. and her choir class gave a performance for the Junior High.  I was HOOKED!!  I was in at least one choir class all the rest of Junior High and Senior High schools.  I still to this day compare others to them when I watch any kind of musical performance..  They were my first impression, they taught me what I knew.

Every year we would go on a "Swing Choir Tour" for a week and travel to other schools and perform.  Twice to Oregon (coastal and central) and one year (to the peninsula side) of the Puget Sound.  Before we would go we would rehearse all the songs we would do for the program.  Some were new songs, some were old songs from the beginning of the year.  Every year it always amazed us that when we went to rehearse the older songs, how much we had adapted and changed them along the way.

I find that interesting now, because of all the talk of eclectic pagans that went on (and still may be going on)  a couple of weeks ago.  I still stand on my previous post and being a Solitary Witch, but it also got me to think about going over the books that got me into being the witch that I am today.  And I had noticed something, and I was inspired in more ways than one....

Much like it was back in the day of high school swing choir and brushing up on the older tunes we sang, I knew the songs, but had morphed them into a slightly different, but same version.  I have done that with my understanding of witchcraft and why there were parts I had morphed into my own comfort.  I have been going back to the beginning, back to Power of the Witch by Laurie Cabot.. back to the science of magick.  Back to refreshing how the song was originally played..  And I will continue to re-read all of the books that have helped me on my path, so I can be true and fresh again.



Thank you, White Light and Blessings to All!  <3

No comments:

Post a Comment